Normally I like to keep my posts about good food experiences but today I wanted to express my concerns about Microwaves and the negative effect they can have on your health. I’ve lived most of my life without a microwave in my house. Ever since High School my mom got rid of our microwave and I have not owned one ever since, even throughout college till now. A lot of friends look at me funny when they find out I don’t own a microwave, as if it were impossible to survive without one. I guess in today’s fast pace society it is not normal to steam up leftovers or just cook every meal fresh. Not owning a microwave has also helped me to voice eating processed feed such as TV dinners, frozen pizza and a lot of other really unhealthy connivance foods, but I won’t go into the health issues related to processed foods… that will have to wait for another post. Today I just want to talk about microwaves.
Now this topic is not the most exciting and to be completely honest there are a lot of really good articles and posts about this topic already, so instead of wasting time trying to reword what was already well written, I figured I would just share some of the highlights and point you into the right direction if you want to read more.
Ten Reasons To Throw Out Your Microwave Oven:
- Continually eating microwave processed food causes permanent brain damage.
- The human body is unable to metabolize the unknown by-products created in microwaved foods.
- Male and female hormone production is shut down and/or altered by continually eating microwaved foods.
- The effects of by-products remain in the human body long-term.
- Minerals, vitamins and nutrients are reduced by microwaving so that the body gets little or altered components that cannot be broken down.
- The minerals in vegetables are altered into cancerous free radicals by microwaves.
- Microwaved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancerous growths. This may partially explain the rapid increase of the colon cancer rate in America.
- Long term consumption of microwaved foods causes cancerous cells to increase in human blood.
- It also causes immune system deficiencies through alterations in the lymph glands and blood serum.
- Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory and concentration, emotional instability and a decrease of intelligence.
Now the list above came directly from www.foodmatters.tv, here are a list of other articles that you should also read:
Now there are studies out there that will state that Microwaves are just as safe as any other cooking method. However, I am not a scientist but after watching a documentary called Forks Over Knives, which I highly recommend everyone should watch, I learned about some clear statistics on how much what you eat effects your health.
Now the documentary mainly focuses on western diet (meat and potatoes) vs. traditional eastern diets (vegetable and whole grain based) but one of the key elements to why a western diet is bad is the amount of processed foods eaten. So how does this related to using a microwave? Most processed foods are designed specifically to be cooked in a microwave, so just owning and using a microwave almost guarantees that you are going to eat more processed food than if you didn’t own a microwave. Just some food for thought…